Stockton University is ranked among the top public universities in the Northeast with more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as continuing education opportunities. The University, one hour from Philadelphia and two hours from New York City, offers unique living and learning environments throughout southern New Jersey, including the 1,600 acre Galloway campus in the Pinelands National Reserve and Stockton University Atlantic City, located in the University District, just steps from the beach and the iconic Atlantic City Boardwalk. Additional locations include Hammonton, Manahawkin and Woodbine.As a public university, Stockton provides an environment for excellence to a diverse student body, including those from underrepresented populations, through an interdisciplinary approach to liberal arts, sciences and professional education. Founded in 1969, Stockton held its first classes in 1971. The University’s commitment to cultural diversity and its welcoming and vibrant community makes Stockton a great place to learn and work! Learn more about the many reasons to choose Stockton at www.Stockton.edu.
This is an in-person on campus, non-remote position.
This full-time position reports to the Controller/Fiscal Affairs and is responsible for performing professional accounting and tax management to ensure that the University and its entities meet their legal reporting requirements with respect to international, federal, state, and local tax laws. The Tax Manager possesses extensive tax accounting knowledge and provides best practices to ensure legal and tax compliance for the University.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using Microsoft Word or PDF
- A letter of interest describing qualifications and accomplishments
- A current resume
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email Address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check, which may include social intelligence from a consumer reporting agency.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources (Main Campus, J-115) at 609-652-4384, Monday - Friday between 8:00am - 5:00pm.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions (faculty exempt) are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crimes Statistics Act (Clery Act), prospective employees may access Stockton’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASFSR) is available at https://www.stockton.edu/police/crime-statistics.html. The ASFSR contains the previous three years of reported Clery Act crime statistics, fire safety information and information regarding campus and personal safety. If you would like a paper copy of the report, please visit the Stockton University Police Department, building 71, 101 Vera King Farris Drive, Galloway Township, NJ, or call 609-652-4390, to request that a copy be mailed to you.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.
- Coordinate the preparation and review of the University’s 990s and three component units of the University with external auditors
- Oversee the preparation and filing of 1042s, 1099s, W-2s, 941s, and related payroll filings
- Perform research on tax and compliance that affect segments of the University as issues arise; support the business activities of the University and perform advanced accounting functions ensuring conformity with generally accepted accounting standards
- Monitor compliance with complex IRS rules and regulations, devising tax strategies to defer or eliminate tax liability exposure; evaluate unrelated business income issues, and assure appropriate treatment on the Federal 990s
- Advise management of the impact of new tax laws; coordinate audits by various taxing authorities and serve as the University liaison with external auditors on tax-related matters
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable, Bursar, Payroll, and Human Resources for all tax matters including payroll taxes, 1099s, and 1098-Ts
- Proactively reach out to and advise the University units on federal and state income and sales tax consequences associated with revenue-generating activities
- Assist in the implementation of any new GASB and FASB accounting pronouncements
- Provide support to the Controller by performing accounting and financial tasks as required/requested
- Prepare annual audit confirmations and the annual audit narrative
- Assist in the University annual audit
- Support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission
- Master's degree in accounting or related field from an accredited institution
- Five years of tax and accounting experience
- Proficient with MS Excel, MS Word, and experience with general ledger accounting software
- Experience with higher education, exempt organizations, multi-state sales, and payroll tax matters
- Experience with Ellucian Banner software